Saturday, July 26, 2008

I Want to Believe...

Last night the four of us went to see the new X-Files movie. After several years of being on hiatus, Mulder and Scully were back for another adventure.

Unlike the mythology story lines, this film followed the theme of a monster episode. The premise is that the FBI needs Mulder to come out of his self-isolation to help with a case of a missing FBI agent. Scully convinces Mulder that he should help, but Scully doesn't want to get involved. The whole movie is spent attempting to convince Scully that she needs to help with the case, but her hands are full with a troubled young terminal patient at the hospital she works at. Because of his curiosity, Mulder gets caught up in this case and almost ends up getting killed. But of course, Scully has managed to figure out the clues just in time to save him and to save the day.

Although both actors are getting older, Gillian Anderson is the only one that really showed her age. I think Ricky was right when he made the comment that we have been watching David Duchovny since X-Files so we are used to seeing him in an older state. It could also be too that in the context of X-Files, you expect them to be younger because that's how they existed to you previously. In general though, the acting from Duchovny and Anderson kept to the style of the X-Files and I felt if nothing else, the film seemed like a long episode.

On the other hand, the choice of actors for some of the other roles was not exactly correct. Some people enjoy Amanda Peet's acting, but to be honest, having her in a movie is a turn off for me. I am not really a fan of hers and with very few exceptions, I have not enjoyed any of her films. To continue with the quality of the cast, Xzibit found himself a role in this film. Let's just say, Pimp My Ride was definitely more suited to his style and level of acting. Now I will say, Billy Connolly did an excellent job as Father Joe. I have always liked him in the roles he has done, and I especially love his accent. The one thing that Kenneth and I both found amusing was the fact that we both think of the same line in Muppet Treasure Island when we hear him speak.
Billy Connolly: "Jimmy Jim Jimmy Jim Jim Jim Jim..."
Gonzo: "I'm not Jimmy Jim Jimmy Jim Jim Jim Jim, he's Jimmy Jim Jimmy Jim Jim Jim Jim."

This film definitely seemed to exemplify the fact that there had been a writer's strike recently and the industry needed something to work on. That being said, I am glad that the film was done. It didn't disappoint and it was what I expected it to be, but I must say the X-Files of the 90's definitely had that special something that was missing from this film. So if you are an X-Files fan, you will probably go see the movie and you will basically get what you expected, but to be honest it was worth the time and money.

No comments: