Monday, April 6, 2009

Mardi Gras Part III: Hammer Time!

Ricky and I at Universal for Mardi Gras.. my new phone takes pretty good pictures

Ricky waiting for the concert to start.. we got closer this time

This past weekend, Ricky and I went to Mardi Gras for the 3rd time this year. We started with Barenaked Ladies to Collective Soul, and Saturday we finished it off with MC Hammer. If for no other reason than morbid curiosity I knew it was going to be a show we were going to go to. Ricky was incredibly excited and could barely contain his excitement. 

Aside from the fact that we sat and waited for several hours, we managed to get relatively close to the stage this time around. We didn't want to be too close because we knew there would be crazed Hammer fans who had had a little too much to drink in the front section. We wanted to avoid that as much as possible. 

The concert started later than the rest of them for whatever reason, but we didn't mind the late start time. What we did mind were the two Universal employees that were on stage in between the parade and the concert to kill some time. There was a guy in flesh tone stretchy pants who couldn't have been more nauseating. It got to point where they were being booed. It was bad. 

Finally, Hammer decided it was time to start. The problem was that after every song he was taking a break as if he was just not up for it. Under normal circumstances at a concert, people will have planned breaks that they talk or engage the audience in some way. This was not the case. There was basically silence as he figured out what was going on. It kind of killed the vibe of the concert. Granted, He did sing multiple songs that I thoroughly enjoy, including the Addams Family song (which made me very happy), but the delays killed the flow.

The final song was, of course, Can't Touch This. Hammer decided he wanted to bring half the audience on stage to join him for the song, which would have been cool except for the fact that it took like 20 minutes of boredom. I will say that there one guy that couldn't have been more "white," but I will say he could do the dance better than some of the dancers. He was nailing it and Ricky and I could not stop laughing because it was such a shock to see him do it so well. All I have to say is that if its not on YouTube it should be. 

All in all it was a fun night because Ricky and I spent time together, but Hammer is definitely showing him age. It was a fun night and although I felt old when he said he album came out 20 years ago (and I realized I was in 3rd grade.. and actually remember that album coming out) it was fun to relive a piece of childhood that was so controversial so many years ago.

No comments: