Thursday, June 26, 2008

I'm officially done!


It’s official! I have completed EPI (Educator’s Preparation Institute). Last night was our completion ceremony at the newly named Daytona State College (formerly Daytona Beach Community College, formerly Daytona Beach College, formerly, Daytona College). It was a nice short ceremony lasting about an hour. All of the graduates received their certificates and they had a few guest speakers (the typical form of graduation). All in all though, I am so glad to be done (not that I have a class to teach now), but I was glad to be done wit the classes and the work involved in the certification process. No more portfolio, no more tests, no more driving to DeLand.

Now comes the hard part though… finding an actual teaching job. I currently have over 65 applications in now to both Orange County and Seminole County, but I have only received 25 rejection letters. The problem I am having is the fact that all my contacts are in Volusia County, so no one knows me over here.

Out of the 65 applications so far approximately 10 of the have been miscellaneous Art positions. Even though that doesn’t seem like too many, its actually quite a lot since art teachers usually get a job and stay there until the retire. The other plus side is that I have only received one rejection letter for an art position, the rest have not been filled yet. So any extra prayers would be great. I am keeping my hopes high and at the same time remembering that a good portion of the schools won’t be hiring until July.

No comments: