Monday, June 9, 2008

Children of All Ages... This means YOU!





For those of you Pixar fans out there, have I got a ride for you!

Ricky and I recently visited Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM) to test out their latest addition, Toy Story Mania. This ride is being added to the new Pixar section of the Studios (which isn't completely finished yet), but the ride is open and functional. I didn't know what to expect at first because I didn't even realize there was going to be a ride involved with the new additions, but take it from me, this is the best ride in the Studios. Granted, Rock'N Rollercoaster has its flair and pizazz like most coasters do, but this ride brings a little something more to the table... a little healthy COMPETITION!

Before you even get to the ride, you enter a queue that throws you completely back to your childhood. You walk through a maze of Tinker Toys, crayons, Chutes & Ladders, Spirographs, and Barrel Full of Monkeys. To complete the trip back in time, there is an animatronic Mr. Potato Head who sings and tells jokes while you wait. He even reacts to audience involvement. Once you get on the ride, you are in a car that has 4 seats. Two in the front and two in the back. Each person is equipped with their own pop gun. The idea of the ride is that you are playing carnival games in order to score points. So you and your pop gun are up against your other car mates. Unlike the Buzz Lightyear ride at Magic Kingdom where you have to attempt to find your little laser that looks like everyone else's laser and you have to steer your own car, you are assigned a color and can see exactly where you are shooting.. and the best part is you don't have to steer. Not to mention that there are only 2 people per screen.... Oh did I mention it was 3D?!? You wear 3D glasses and shoot at a screen. Things are flying in your face while you try and shoot at targets... it's GREAT!

Currently, the line is probably from here to California, but I must say it is definitely worth the wait. It was so much fun and everyone in the family can enjoy it together. One warning I will give though, if you get motion sickness give the ride a try at least once. I get motion sick on some simulators, but this one didn't bother me because when you are playing the 3D game you aren't moving. You only move in between games. It may affect severe motion sickness, but if you can watch a 3D movie it shouldn't bother you too much. Just try to find something to focus on while you are moving.

Otherwise, I highly recommend this ride to children of all ages and I plan to make that a priority stop every time I visit the Studios from now on. ( I can't wait til the rest is finished)

No comments: