Saturday, May 28, 2011

Two Weeks to Go.... And Counting...


Summer vacation is so close I can taste it....

Although I only have 7 school days with students and 9 school days total left, the next two weeks may feel like an eternity. This is mainly due to the fact that I want to focus on the Nemo Room soooo badly and soon, very soon I will get to. I've been patiently waiting and slowly progressing on the Nemo Room for over a year and now its finally going to take priority.

As many of you know, I tend to be OCD when it comes to planning. I have always been a planner and I love being able to get into the middle of it all to make sure that the perfectionist side of my personality has a chance to be fulfilled. For that reason, I have mapped out a schedule on my 2 x3 foot whiteboard that specifies what tasks in the Nemo Room I plan on accomplishing each week. I have also set a completion goal date for the room in the hopes of sticking to my schedule. However, I have written into the schedule the ability to change the order of weekly tasks around in order to accommodate for the days where the characters just aren't coming together.

This afternoon I started to get the feeling that something needed to be done in the Nemo Room. So I decided that I needed to lay out the rest of the characters so that I would know where they needed to be drawn. Hopefully, a portion of them will be drawn before bed this evening. However, I also decided to take out the wire closet fixtures... not a good idea. The plan is to remove the wire fixtures, paint the closet a slightly dark blue than the walls to contrast the depth and then Ricky will build an organizational system we designed inside the closet that is made of melamine. Unfortunately, the individual who designed the anchor system for those wire fixtures was a very mean mean person. The screws that go into the anchors will not come loose from the anchor so that we can remove them from the wall. So although I did managed to remove the bottom brackets and the shelf, the anchor connections remain in the wall for the time being. I am very close to just yanking and hoping for the best.

Another tedious task that I managed to cross off the list today was finding a picture of Nigel. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the names of the Nemo characters, he is the pelican pictured at the beginning of this post. I found decent pictures of all of the Nemo characters online, but unfortunately, due to the odd shape of the one wall in the room, I need Nigel to be in a specific pose. For that reason, I had to watch Nemo in frame-by frame mode in order to take pictures with my cell phone that I could reference while I am drawing him... and yes I said take pictures with my cell phone. Unfortunately, the screen capture options do not work while a DVD is playing. I will say that watching a Pixar film in frame-by-frame really shows how many minute details they put into their work. In the end, I managed to capture some great images to use for the drawing and I can cross that task off the list.

Even with the closet fixture annoyance, I am still on schedule... (this is partially due to the fact that the schedule doesn't officially start until June 13th.) Any and all work completed prior to that date will just be added time for details in the end.

This is going to be such a great summer, I cannot wait for it to start... 9 days and counting...

No comments: