Sunday, May 15, 2011

Operation Giveback Run, Walk, & Roll


Yesterday we (Ricky, Me, Tammy, our Boot Camp Crew and about 1100 other people) participated in the Inaugural Run, Walk, & Roll 5k/10k for Operation Giveback at UCF. This organization was put together to help support the efforts of the Wounded Warrior Project which attempts to raise awareness and resources for wounded and disabled service
members.


Yesterday we participated in the Inaugural Run, Walk, & Roll 5k/10k for Operation Giveback at UCF. This organization was put together to help support the efforts of the Wounded Warrior Project which attempts to raise awareness and resources for wounded and disabled service members.


I finished in 43 minutes with a pace of 13:59. I finished 41st out of 50 in my age group and although it may not seem like an accomplishment, it s a considerable one. Normally, I average 15 minute miles, which is pretty slow. However, as you can see I managed to reduce my time by a minute... Now if we compare it to my pace in the half marathon that I did in February, I went from pacing a 17 minute mile to a 14 minute mile and that means I went faster by 3 minutes. I know that some of you may say, well the first half of your 1/2 marathon was probably the faster pace and the end averaged out your pace to be slower and you would be correct. But it just sounds nice to say that I dropped my pace time by 3 minutes.

Ricky was much braver than I was because he decided that he was going to do the 10k. He did very well and although I don't think he liked his time, he achieved his goal by finishing. This race also provided me with an interesting opportunity... I got to watch Ricky cross the finish line. Under normal circumstances, Ricky and I are running the same distance. Since he runs a faster pace than I do, he always finishes first. Fortunately, I decided that a 5k was enough for me, I finished before him and was able to watch him cross the line and cheer him on. It was definitely a cool experience.

Although I may not run fast, I participate in these events for my health and for the wonderful organizations they represent. I will never be a runner, but over the past 6 months I have proven to myself that I can run a half marathon, a 5k is a walk in the park, and no matter what your time ends up being, you are running, walking or rolling for a good cause.

If you are interested in more information you can check out their website at http://www.operation-giveback.com/ or check out their Facebook page.

News 13 Coverage of Operation Giveback Run, Walk & Roll

1 comment:

K said...

You and Rick both did AWESOME and you have both inspired me to really get back on my Couch to 5K plan so I can truly RUN ...as opposed to the Run/Walk combo I did yeaterday at the event. That being said, I was glad to participate too ...seeing those soilders and their families really reminded me that when I am complaining about my crazy work schedule, fussing over the checkbook, etc. that I TRULY have (a) so little to gripe about (b) so MUCH to be thankful for and (C) so very MUCH to thank our armed forces, law enforcement and first responders for in risking themselves to keep all of us safe!
It was a great day for our BC family too, as I always love to spend time with you guys and..well.. at least we STARTED the day with something healthy :)LOL