Saturday, May 21, 2011

What a long week...

This was a crazy week...

At the end of a school year, one would think that things start to wind down in anticipation for the summer, but this is not an accurate statement. Things not only start to pick up, but in actual fact, they start to get CRAZY...

Monday was a pretty normal day. I worked the average day and went to the gym in the evening. Let's consider this the calm before the storm...

Tuesday was the first of the crazy ones. After a full day at school, I went down to the auditorium foyer to help set up for the Edgewater Spring Arts Night. We had all of the groups represented from Guitar to Painting and Chorus to Computer Graphics. Unfortunately, Animation was left off of the party list this year. No screen to show my students work and no room to lay out all of their drawings. I feel bad that their work went unseen, but that just means that the morning announcements will be inundated with animation projects for most of next school year. Aside from the animation being left out, the night was a success. We had refreshments galore and it seems like everyone who attended had a good time.
Time of arrival to home... 8:30PM

Wednesday was another great day for the students at Edgewater. Wednesday night was the Senior Awards night where students are presented with scholarships and school based awards to recognize their achievements over their high school careers. After working a full day, I stayed at school to not only attend the ceremony, but I also presented the Departmental Award for the Visual Arts. It was such a lovely night as I watched many of my seniors walk across that stage to receive recognition. Two of my students received a scholarship for Art and Technology supplies and of course, most of them walked up for their Bright Futures Scholarship. I was very proud to see what they have accomplished and it just reminded me that they are leaving too soon.
Time of arrival at home... 9:15PM

Thursday night was the big one... the EHS Spring Football game against Wekiva. After working a full day, I went down to the partially renovated stadium to see our Eagles take on the Mustangs. When we first went out their, the sun was vicious and I thought that I was going to melt, however, it turned out to be a very lovely evening. At half time they retired Mike Sims-Walker's Jersey #21 and named him the first inductee of the Ring of Fire for Edgewater. Although I never taught him in high school (because I was still at UCF working on my degree), I was proud because he is also a UCF Alum. (Go Knights!)

Although the game started off badly with Wekiva scoring a touchdown right out of the gates, we ended up coming back and showing the Mustangs what we are made of with a solid win. I must say it is hard to keep track of the time and the score without a scoreboard, but it will be nice to see the new one installed.
Time of arrival at home... 10:45PM

After all of the festivities this week, I can honestly say that I haven't been this excited about a lazy weekend in a long time. Granted I loved being involved in all of the events and I was so proud of all of my students, I'm just glad I survived in one piece. I am truly blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful opportunities and although I'm glad the weekend has arrived, I wouldn't have traded this week for anything.

No comments: