Sunday, June 5, 2011

Ruth 1 - Nemo Closet 0

Check out the destruction caused by the epic battle...

More damage...

In case you ever wanted to know what the ridiculous brackets look like for those wire fixtures,
here you go... Great for stability, not so great for removal...


Take that you silly closet...

As I have mentioned before, I really dislike those wire closet fixtures. Aesthetically speaking, I was never really a fan because things would fall through the slats and and it is just a mess. However, recently my dislike has grown to annoyance and hatred due to the fact that I could not for the life of me remove the fixtures from the wall in the Nemo closet. Ricky is going to build a closet organizer for that room and I was going to paint the inside to match the room, but those brackets were staring us in the face and laughing...

However...

Today I prepared myself for battle. I do not know where the fearless attitude or the rush of adrenaline came from, but I was going in there with a screwdriver in hand and I was not coming out until I was successful. Since we attempted to use the drill the last time, I decided to go old school and use a hand held screwdriver. I figured if the screws weren't coming out normally, I would use some leverage to pop them out of the wall. The first bracket was one of the hardest. Since the brackets and anchors are one and the same, I had to determine which was the anchors were adhering themselves to the wall. They had these prongs that went in two directions on the inside of the drywall. I can understand the benefit of those prongs for the fixtures stability, but trying to get them out is next to impossible. So, I had to do a number on the drywall to attempt to yank this thing out. I pulled and pulled and eventually the hole I was creating in the drywall was large enough to work the bracket out. Now I had the advantage. I now held the secret to the brackets and their stupid anchors because I knew which way they went into the wall. With this key piece of intel I managed to work the rest of them out fairly quickly because I could wiggle them in the correct direction to try to get the prongs to close and come through a smaller hole. Once I managed to get those out there was just one more obstacle in the way... the large side brackets that held the shelf in place.

These brackets were a bit more daunting because they really didn't have too many weak points that I could use to get underneath. We tried using the drill previously on one side to get the screws out, but just like the smaller brackets that concept did not work. However, as fate would have it, using my hand held screwdriver, I managed to actually get one of the bottom screws out of the wall on the other side. From there I could pop out the anchor that was attached to that piece and then just pull the top one out. The left side I had to resort to a more primitive method... yanking. I just grabbed it and started twisting it until I loosened it enough to pry it off with the screwdriver. I guess I just had to summon my inner Hulk for that one.

In the end I managed to remove all of the brackets from that silly fixture and have added a large bucket of Spackle to the Home Depot shopping list. In the end, I must say that I still really dislike those wire closet fixtures, but nothing is going to get in the way of my goal of completing the Nemo Room by the end of the summer.

No comments: