Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I am NOT the Rebel Spy...


Today Ricky, Tammy, Toni, and I all went to Disney's Hollywood Studios for the morning/afternoon. This was mainly due to the fact that I was the only one of the group that had not been on the new Star Tours since it reopened. I was excited because it was a new ride, but I was also hesitant because even with the changes, it was still a motion-based ride that had a screen. The older version of Star Tours managed to make my stomach a bit queasy previously, but I was told that this newer version was much more motion sick friendly... Being someone who suffers from motion sickness, this news was music to my ears. I must admit I was skeptical, but I was willing to give it a whirl.

Since we got Fast Passes for the ride, I did not get to fully appreciate the changes that have been made in the queue, however, Ricky did point out a few things as we sped through the line. I didn't mind missing the line at least this time around. Before entering the one thing I will say is that the glasses are much better now than the older ones. They work very well with the projection and the interaction is very well done. However, the real question is whether or not this newer version quells motion sickness... the answer is kind of... For those with motion sickness this ride does offer a bit more relief than the previous film, mainly because the images are clearer and do not blur like the old projector. Unfortunately, the ride still contained a few issues: air circulation and location. For me personally, motion sickness is reduced with air circulation. Since the air was not turned up at all, the air in the pod was very still and warm. This made the affects of the movement worse. The other issue I had was something that will never be fixed on Star Tours... and that is the warp speed shoots through space. For some reason my motion sickness peaks when they jump in and out of warp speed. I have no idea why, but even with the better projectors, my stomach still did a cartwheel or two.


Over all it was a good day in the park and since we left in the early afternoon the rain and humidity were just beginning so we managed to stay relatively dry. The crowds were also fairly calm and it seemed like a good day to be in the touristy areas... Besides... although we didn't spend the entire day in the park, ending the day with 4Rivers BBQ and going to see XMen First Class was definitely a good option.

No comments: