Monday, December 1, 2008

International Auto Show @ the Convention Center

Dodge Challenger... if Ricky had his way, this would be his car

This was the Interceptor... its one of the prototype cars.. I wasn't a huge fan of this one..

Yesterday I experienced my first auto show. Well, I guess typically this is the first larger auto show I have ever been to. Ricky and I have been to the Turkey Rod Run in the past to see the different older cars, but this show was more for the up and coming cars from the different companies. We met up with some friends and walked around to all of the different displays. 

Not having been to a car show before I was a little confused as to the nature and purpose of the show, but one of our friends explained it quite effectively. She explained that if you are in the market for a new car, you could drive around to hundreds of dealerships and search online for your new car, or you could come to the car show, pay $9 bucks and see what all of the companies have to offer. Then you aren't wasting time and gas, but instead, you can really see if you like the cars. The really cool thing about this show is that for the most part you can get into all of the cars and press al the buttons or play with the folding seats to see if you like what the car has to offer. So you can truly decide if you like a vehicle or not. 

After I got over the initial shock that we could actually play with the cars, I started to get a little more into it and actually sat in a few cars that I would never buy in a million years. Reversely, I think we found the next car we are going to get when the time comes (granted it wont be the same car since these are for the next 2 years, but we have an idea of what we are looking for).

All in all it was a fun trip. Ricky said that the show was much smaller than it was in the past, but I have a feeling the economy had something to do with that. Hopefully once things start to pick up again, the shows will get bigger. I definitely think this would be something fun to do on an annual basis.

No comments: