Friday, March 20, 2009

Summer Classes, Registration, Cumulative Tests.. Oh My!

Well, after being sick for most of my spring break, I managed to stay at least slightly ahead with my work for my classes. I was worried that I was going to feel the work overload once I started up with my classes again this week, but to be honest it wasn't all that bad. I think it is because I have artfully mastered the skills required for appropriate procrastination. Every one at work always laughs when i am about to leave because my typically response consists of.. "I'm head home to write a paper that is due in 5 hours." I think everyone thinks I am a slacker, but to be honest, I write better when I am under a little more pressure to get it done. When i know I have time, the creative juices just don't seem to flow as they should. Or if they do, the juice is mediocre at best so I ultimately end up rewriting the paper later anyway. 

There are only 6 to 7 weeks left in the semester depending on which class I am talking about (I only have one exam during exam week, the rest are papers that are due the week before). At first I wasn't going to take any summer classes, but I found out that they do in fact offer financial aid so I figured why not. They offer one of the classes at the Atlantic Center for the Arts in New Smyrna. The great thing about this class is that it is a 10 day intensive course. You go every day for ten days (not including Sunday) and then you are done. How great is that? Semesters are typically 13 weeks give or take and the summer sessions usually run about 6 to 7 weeks. I will be done in 10 days (not even a week and a half). Don't worry though, I will make sure to give everyone a heads up when those days are, especially since I will probably be pulling out my hair in the process. The good thing about it though is that a friend from school offered her place to me to so that I could crash there instead of having to make that drive everyday. 

On top of everything else, registration is next week so I will be able to set up my schedule for the next year. I have already mapped out the courses I will be taking and I am fairly excited about them. Assuming all goes according to plan, after the spring of next year I will only have 2 classes and my cumulative test left for the fall. Since I am doing the Masters of Education program, they give you 3 options for the completion of the program. You can do a thesis, you can do a research report (this includes a couple extra classes), or you can take 6 extra hours and then take the cumulative test. At first that seemed a bit daunting of a thought, but one of my classmates is taking hers this week and is going to let me know how it is. It's supposedly essay based, so I am not overly worried, after all you know me and multiple choice. 

So thats all for now, if anyone is interested, we're going to see Collective Soul tomorrow at Mardi Gras! 

No comments: