Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Chach!

Happy Birthday Chach!

Last night, Ricky and I went out to celebrate Chach's birthday. The plan was to have everyone meet at Medici's Cigar Bar and Lounge. Now, when I hear "cigar bar" I think wooden fixtures, leather chairs, jazz music playing, and maybe a few glasses of brandy circulating around the room. Smoke normally isn't too much of an issue because it generally has either a section for the smoking or they are have an excellent ventilation system. This was not the case for this particular location.  

This location had the beginnings of what might have been a cigar bar at one point in time, but things have definitely changed. After you pass the initial area, all of a sudden it appears to be more of an underground club (cinder block walls, pool tables, and a great deal of cigarette smoke). Not to mention the fact that they had techno club music so loud you had to be right on top of someone to hold any kind of conversation. Let's just say when I first got there, I was completely uncomfortable. Once we got in there, one of our other friends had a section of the back roped off for us where they brought out different components of mixed drinks and had really comfortable leather couches. Only our group was allowed beyond the ropes so we didn't have to worry too much about any strange individuals bothering us. Once we got settled there, I became much more comfortable. I sat next to Ricky and for the most part I spent the time talking to Ricky and just watching everyone around me. It was still a bit too smoky for me, but we stayed for a while to be there for Chach and then we headed home. I don't know that I would ever go back there, but for Chach it was nice to be able to be there for him for his birthday. 

No comments: